Fun-and-Sun-Packed Summer in Northern Michigan
Grand Traverse Resort and Spa Makes Great Home Base to Enjoy an Action-Packed Season
Grand Traverse Resort and Spa, near Traverse City, Mich. invites travelers to a fun-filled summer of one-of-a-kind events; from family-friendly s’mores celebrations, beach Olympics and Native American Pow Wows; to microbrew, music, food and wine festivals, and more.
Set on 900 acres along Lake Michigan’s Grand Traverse Bay, Grand Traverse Resort makes a great base camp for exploring all that Northern Michigan has to offer. Visitors can go for a tasting tour in any of the renowned wineries and breweries of the region, laze on the white-sand beaches of nearby Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, recognized by ABC-TV Good Morning America’s Most Beautiful Place in America, or host a self-guided tour along the 10.5 mile long T.A.R.T. biking trail through Traverse City and beyond to Suttons Bay on the Leelanau Peninsula.
For guests not wanting to linger far off property, they can get their rest and recreation at Grand Traverse Resort. This 600-room property offers the full gamut of amenities, from fine dining, shops and spa to watersports, hiking trails, golf, indoor waterpark and more. Active travelers can take a standup paddleboard lesson at the resort’s private beach, or play a round of golf on championship courses designed by Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player. For a more relaxing approach, guests can treat themselves to a day at Spa Grand Traverse, spanning 7,000 square feet and offering a variety of luxurious treatments. Epicurean travelers can enjoy an unforgettable meal at the award-winning Aerie Restaurant & Lounge, serving up innovative fare made with fresh local ingredients and featuring sweeping views of Grand Traverse Bay.
Whatever the preference, Grand Traverse Resort and Spa caters to every guest and offers several affordable summer packages for couples and families. The central location puts guests close to the action for the many unique events this summer happening on property or minutes away, such as:
- S’mores Fest – June 13-15, 2014: Grand Traverse Resort’s master Pastry Chef Stephanie Elwell will be crafting classic and gourmet versions of the famous campfire dessert during the Resort’s first ever S’mores Fest. During the weekend, the Resort and Chef Elwell will serve s’mores in many different forms, as well as foods and beverages with a s’mores twist, and will conduct activities with a s’mores theme for young and old alike.
- Beach Week at Grand Traverse Resort’s Beach Club - June 29-July 6, 2014: Grand Traverse Resort and Spa celebrates Beach Week at its private Beach Club. Highlights include; beach Olympics, kayak races, candy bingo, pottery painting, and more.
- Horse Shows by the Bay Equestrian Festival – July 2-27, 2014: This prestigious annual, multi-week summer event is staged at Flintfields Horse Park in beautiful Williamsburg, just a few minutes from the Resort. The festival features thousands of the nation's champion horses and riders competing in the international disciplines of show jumping and dressage. Feature events, which welcome spectators, are held on the weekends during the festival dates and include the exciting Gran Prix plus exhibitions, special family day activities and charity fundraisers.
- National Cherry Festival – July 5-12, 2014: Named in USA Today’s top ten festivals for several years running, the National Cherry Festival celebrates the region’s world-record tart cherry harvests with more than 150 events featuring the famous cherries cooked, baked, blended and mixed into every imaginable delicious concoction.
- Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians’ Traditional Pow Wow – July 8, 2014: Immerse yourself in Native American history and culture at the Grand Traverse Band’s annual traditional Pow Wow, during Traverse City’s National Cherry Festival, featuring native singers, dancers, artists and artisans. All are welcome.
- Traverse City Film Festival – July 29-August 3, 2014: With a special emphasis on “Just Great Movies” the Traverse City Film Festival has become one of the largest film festivals in the Midwest, showing foreign films, American independents and documentaries. This annual event presents classic movies for free on a giant, inflatable outdoor screen overlooking Grand Traverse Bay in Traverse City’s Open Space Park starting at dusk. In addition, free panel discussions with directors, writers and actors are offered daily.
- Traverse City Summer Microbrew and Music Festival – August 22-23, 2014: Recently recognized by The Travel Channel as one of its Top 10 Beer Destinations in North America, Traverse City is the place for all brew connoisseurs. This festival inspires community collaboration through the joy of craft brew and great music, while raising funds for nonprofit organizations. It also supports hundreds of community-based artists, small businesses, vendors, farmers, local food providers, arts and entertainment companies, and others throughout Michigan.