Since today is Dominican Republic's Independence Day, I thought to share with you my recent experience in this wonderful country!
I had the pleasure to go to Dominican Republic for one week this past summer. It was an amazing experience learning all about their culture, food and history. I got the opportunity to visit some of the most beautiful cities in the Costa Dorada area of the country: Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete.
While there we visited some beautiful locations that I highly recommend:
|Fresh Coconut Water|
- Take a cable car to the peak of Mount Isabel de Torres.
- Explore the 16th-century San Felipe Fortress.
- Ocean World Adventure Park, Marina & Casino is the most complete entertainment complex of the Dominican Republic, located in Cofresi Beach, just 3 miles west from the town of Puerto Plata.
- The Brugal Rum Distillery is located less than a kilometer east of the town limits on the main Sosua-Playa Dorada highway. The distillery is open every day of the week except Saturday and Sunday, from 9am-12pm, then 2pm-5pm.
- 27 Charcos de Damajagua, get a chance to walk through the jungle, walk through the river, and enjoy the most beautiful natural pools that the island has to offer.
|San Felipe Fortress|
Looking for hotel recommendations in Puerto Plata, here are a few you can consider:
- Barcelo Puerto Plata--great for couples and families.
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort--another great spot, a little more expensive but perfect for families.
- Casa Colonial--this beautiful resort is perfect for honeymoons, weddings, and couples looking to completely unwind and not be bothered.
- Be Live Grand Marien--economical hotel great for large groups and large families.
|The beautiful pool at Casa Colonial|
If you are looking for some awesome eats, check out this list I put together for Latina.com where I share not only some of the tips above but also some of the most delish treats you must have while in DR!
Cheers and safe travels!